The family will come running for these Italian Loose Meat Hoagies served on warm hoagie rolls topped with gooey melted cheese.
Italian Loose Meat Hoagies
These Italian inspired loose meat hoagies are a favorite meal at our house. They're quick, filling and fun to eat. They're one of those meals we often refer to as "party food." I couldn't resist making an Italian version of a loose meat sandwich and piling it high on a toasted hoagie roll. It's sort of a sloppy version of an Italian meatball hoagie cooked with onions and sweet peppers then dressed with pizza sauce.
Helpful Tips for Making Loose Meat Hoagies
- I recommend using hoagie rolls that can be cut on top, so they remain upright in the oven when melting and covering with gooey cheese.
- The filling can be made in advance, and it freezes well making for low-stress meal-time preparation.
- You can top these hoagies using any flavor of cheese that you enjoy or have on hand.
- You can adapt using any variety of peppers that you enjoy.
- You can make the filling and put it into the crock of a slow cooker and keep warm until servings.
- Serve these hoagies for casual meals and they make a tasty treat for game days, too.
Other Easy Ground Beef Recipes to Add to the Menu
Your day may be hectic but dinner doesn't have to be. Other recipes you may enjoy:
- Barbecue Smokey Joes
- Sloppy Joe Pizza Sliders
- Make Ahead Ground Beef for Freezing one of my own favorite cooking hacks
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Cornbread Sloppy Joe Casserole from Six Sisters Stuff
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Italian Loose Meat Hoagies
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage sweet or spicy your preference
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 16 oz jar pizza sauce
- 2 teaspoon dry Italian Mediterranean Herb or Pizza & Pasta Magic seasoning
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- salt and black pepper
- 16 slices provolone or mozzerella cheese
- 10 Hoagie rolls buttered and toasted
- In a medium saucepan on the stovetop, saute the diced onion over medium-high in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Saute until the onion softens and is beginning to brown, then add the sliced peppers.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the minced garlic, ground beef and Italian sausage. Season the meat with salt and black pepper. Cook until no pink remains and the sausage and ground beef have browned. Drain all excess fat from the pan.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, pizza sauce, Italian seasoning and oregano. Stir well, then cook for another 6-8 minutes until heated through.
- Set the oven on the broil setting. Butter and lightly toast the hoagie rolls.
- Fill with loose meat and top with slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven to melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately.