- I recommend making these lemon bars the day you want to serve them and chill until set. They will certainly keep overnight, if you need to make in advance.
- The lemon pie filling is crucial to the custard and causes it to set-up beautifully.
- While I do recommend that you chill these bars for the best result, they can be served at room temperature, if you prefer.
- Lemon bars are a burst of citrus that's so refreshing. That said, they do require some garnishing to make them pretty just before serving. We do eat first with our eyes, after all.
- For that reason, I serve these with a light dusting of powdered and a dollop of whipped cream. When doing so, it's best if you wait until just before serving to garnish the top. Lemon desserts can be "weepy" and the powdered sugar will slowly melt onto the bars.
Other Lemon Desserts to Try
We're huge citrus fans at our house so, lemon desserts, cakes and quick breads are often on the dessert menu.
- Lemon Burst Buttermilk Cake
- Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle
- Lemon Curd Tart
- No-Bake Lemon Bliss Cheesecake
All of these and more can be found in the MSSK recipe index. You may also like to try these Lemon Cream Puffs from Lauren's Latest.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Lemon Custard Pie Bars
- 1 16.5 oz package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup almond slices
- 1 21 oz can lemon pie filling
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon zest adjust amount to taste
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Press the sugar cookie dough evenly onto the bottom of the baking dish. Press white chocolate chips and almonds into the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes. The crust will puff up slightly. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to whip together pie filling, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk on medium speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Spread filling evenly over crust. Place back into the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set when gently shaken.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack. Chill for 3 hours.
- Dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Serve with a dollop of sweetened fresh whipped cream, if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container chilled.