Over The Top Peanut Butter Pie - Loaded with peanut butter cups, chocolate, cream cheese peanut butter and plenty of chocolate ganache on top. That's right, it's over the top. This Peanut Butter Pie was the very first recipe I ever posted publicly and one of the biggest reasons I started blogging. It's always been a frequently requested recipe from my friends and family alike.
Peanut butter pies in the South are considered a bit of a Southern delicacy. They're likely to show up at any potluck meal, office, church or family gathering. Mixing peanut butter and chocolate together in the form of a pie is just one more way to enjoy this heavenly combination of flavors.
This pie requires no baking for those of you who aren't inclined to bake, and the preparation is incredibly simple. That's reason enough to love this pie, but, I think it's the addition of the creamy chocolate ganache that makes this one stand up on it's own. And, I say, why not garnish it with the chopped peanut butter cups? It was likely the inspiration for the original PB pie, and y'all know we all love them!
Over The Top Peanut Butter Pie
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- For the pie:
- 1  inch deep dish prepared graham cracker crust
- 1 ½ cups creamy peanut butter
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup half & half or heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 [12 oz ] container frozen whipped topping thawed
- room temperature ganache
- ½ cup chopped peanut butter cups
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts [optional]
- To prepare the ganache: Pour all of the chocolate chips into a heat proof bowl and set aside. In a small stove top pan bring the cream to a boil then immediately remove it from the heat.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate chips. Stir until the ganache is completely smooth
- Pour between ⅓-1/2 inche of ganache into a 9-inch graham cracker crust..
- Use a pastry brush, and "paint" the entire crust with the chocolate.
- Set the crust into the refrigerator so the chocolate can harden while you make the filling.
- Set aside the remaining ganache and let it cool slightly while you make the filling.
- To make the filling: Cream together the peanut butter, cream cheese, vanilla and milk until fully combined. Lower the speed of your mixer and gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Continue to beat the ingredients together for 2-3 minutes until there are no visible sugar lumps and the filling is light and fluffy.
- Use a large spatula and fold in all of the thawed whipped topping by hand until well blended. After the ganache in the shell has completely set-up spread the filling on top.
- Garnish with chopped peanut butter cups and drizzle with the room temperature ganache.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if desired.
- Chill for at least four hours before cutting.