Saucy Chicken Parmesan is a midweek Italian feast in the making. Breaded and pan fried until golden, it can be ready and on the table in no time flat.
Saucy Chicken Parmesan is an Italian Feast in the Making
Pan fried chicken Parmesan is a perfect choice for a quick meal any night of the week. Quick week-night meals are imperative for busy families and my family is no different. After a long day at work, school, extra curricular activities and sports it’s the perfect time to reconnect, relax and enjoy a tasty meal. This saucy chicken Parmesan can be made in very little time with a little coordination of ingredients and organization.
Helpful Tips for Making Chicken Parmesan
- To expedite dinner preparation, cook the pasta while you’re preparing the chicken and warm the marinara sauce in the microwave or on the stove top in a saucepan. My homemade pizza sauce works wonders with this recipe, too.
- You can bread the chicken Parmesan in advance and place onto a sheet pan, covered with plastic wrap. Just pop into the fridge until you’re ready to fry the cutlets in a skillet until golden and crispy.
- Place the chicken under the oven broiler for a couple of minutes just until the cheese is gooey, golden and bubbly.
- Serve with your favorite roasted or steamed vegetable, a spinach salad and some hot garlic bread, then sit down, relax and enjoy the meal.
In keeping with the Italian theme, for dessert you may enjoy this luscious Tiramisu recipe from Natasha’s Kitchen.
My Delta Story:
When handling chicken, such as in this recipe, it’s important to pay close attention to cross contamination cleaning the utensils and work space thoroughly. Making a mess is part of cooking and my hands are the most important kitchen tools that I have. They’re also the first to get messy. In October 2014 I was invited to be a Delta Correspondent to the Southern Living Test Kitchen. Being an avid reader of Southern Living Magazine, it was a glorious experience. Why Delta? Delta faucet is the official faucet of the Southern Living Test Kitchen and it was my delight to be a part of this event.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Saucy Chicken Parmesan
- 6 6-8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp butter and 3 Tbsp olive oil plus additional as needed
- 1 15 oz jar prepared marinara or spaghetti sauce plus additional as needed
- 1 lb dry pasta i.e. linguine, angel hair pasta, thin spaghetti
- 6 slices thick cut mozzarella cheese
- Cook the pasta per the package instructions in salted water until al dente. Drain well.
- Warm the marinara sauce in a microwave safe dish or on the stove top in a small saucepan. .
- Meanwhile, place the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and use the smooth side of a meat mallet to pound to approximately 3/8-inch thickness. Season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together panko, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
- To coat, dredge both sides of the seasoned chicken in the all-purpose flour. Dip in the beaten egg, shaking off the excess. Coat both sides in seasoned crumbs.
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp of butter with 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Brown the chicken pieces over medium-high heat until golden cooking for around 2-3 minutes on each side. If thicker, adjust time. Add additional butter and olive oil to the skillet as needed.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Move oven rack to the upper third of oven.If using an oven safe skillet: Drizzle each piece with 1/4 cup warm marinara sauce. Top each piece of chicken with one slice of cheese. To prepare on a baking sheet: Place onto a baking pan spritzed with cooking spray. Drizzle each piece with 1/4 cup warm marinara sauce. Top each piece of chicken with one slice of cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted, bubbly and golden.
- Drizzle warm marinara sauce on the pasta and place the chicken on top. Sprinkle with additional grated Parmesan cheese for serving.
- Serve immediately.