This Italian Chicken with Balsamic Mushrooms and Onions is one of those one-skillet wonders that make dinner time a joy to prepare. Serve it with, or without, a side of pasta and a salad for a homestyle feast the family will love.
Italian Chicken with Balsamic Mushrooms and Onions
Skillet chicken meals that come together in 30 minutes or less are perfection on busy days. When you can make a dish as spectacular as this one in under 30 minutes, the ease of preparation can only be eclipsed by the first bite of lightly breaded chicken. The balsamic vinegar lends a slight sweetness to the mushrooms and onions. It’s glorious. I particularly love serving restaurant-style dishes at home where we can be more relaxed and it has the added bonus of being far more cost effective. You can’t beat serving great food and keeping your budget on track.
Chicken Skillet Meals are Always a Winning Choice for Dinner
When cooking this winning chicken dinner, you can use any large 12 inches or greater, heavy bottomed skillet. Whether it’s a stainless steel or cast iron skillet, either will do. Much like this cheesy pepperoni pizza chicken or skillet fried chicken smothered with bacon gravy
it comes together easily and it’s a budget friendly meal for my family.
Balsamic glaze is balsamic vinegar that has been cooked and reduced to the consistency of a sweet and tangy syrup. It’s delectable and has many uses. It’s readily available in many grocery stores and specialty shops. If you’d like to try making your own see my recipe for Balsamic Glaze. If you love a homemade marinade for grilled chicken, checkout this recipe for homemade Italian dressing chicken marinade from Recipe Tin Eats.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Skillet Italian Chicken With Balsamic Mushrooms And Onions
- 4 6 or 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- olive oil
- Balsamic mushrooms and onions:
- 2 Tbsp butter plus olive oil as needed
- 1 medium sweet onion thinly sliced
- 8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary removed from stem and chopped
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes adjust to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp *balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar Omit if using prepared balsamic glaze
- 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- Pat dry the chicken breasts and season lightly with salt on both sides.
- On a plate, mix together the all-purpose flour, panko breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned breading mixture.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat a few drizzles of olive oil. Fry the chicken pieces in batches being careful not to crowd the pan. Depending on the thickness, this should take around 3-4 minutes per side or until the juices run clear. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- After all of the chicken is cooked, add 2 Tbsp of butter to the pan. Add additional olive oil, if needed. Saute the sliced onion, mushrooms, minced garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes.
- Cook over medium for 8-10 minutes or until the juice has released from the mushrooms and has evaporated. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the chicken broth, balsamic glaze or vinegar and granulated sugar to the pan. Stir well scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cook over medium-high for 3 minutes or so until the sauce has reduced and slightly thickened. Return the chicken to the pan.
- Serve drizzled with the sweet balsamic mushrooms and onions and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.