This Cheese Stuffed Taco Meatloaf takes a dish that's often thought of as a humdrum dish over-the-top. Seasoned lean ground beef is stuffed with spicy pepper-jack cheese then mixed together with our favorite fiesta seasonings and crushed Doritos. This recipe turns this taco meatloaf into a homemade fiesta that you can make any day of the week.
Easy Cheese Stuffed Taco Meatloaf Recipe
I tend to only share recipes here on my website that are family tested and approved. Being a lifelong fan of meatloaf, this spiced-up taco style variation is one more way for my meatloaf loving family to enjoy it. In keeping with the theme, I like to serve this cheese stuffed taco meatloaf with Spanish rice and roasted Mexican corn or cheesy mashed potato casserole and a simple salad on the side. If you're in the mood for a piece of buttered honey cornbread that would be nice addition, too.
How to Make the Best Cheese Stuffed Taco Meatloaf Recipe
If your family is like mine, this cheesy taco meatloaf will satisfy their craving for a South-of-the-border style meal without breaking the bank. Tacos in any form always makes my family happy.
- Ingredients you'll need to make Cheese Stuffed Taco Meatloaf: 2 ½ pounds lean ground beef, taco sauce, crushed Doritos, taco seasoning, cumin, lemon pepper, garlic powder, large eggs, diced onion, sliced pepper jack cheese and shredded pepper jack cheese for the top.
- You could adapt this meatloaf recipe using ground turkey or ground chicken.
- If you'd like to add extra kick to this Mexican food inspired meatloaf you could add diced jalapeno peppers to the meatloaf mix.
- For a milder flavor of meatloaf, you can use the same amount of colby jack cheese or monterey jack cheese in place of pepper jack cheese. Please note you'll need sliced cheese for the inside of the meatloaf and shredded cheese for the topping.
- If you want to assemble this taco meatloaf in advance you can. To do so, assemble it completely per the recipe then cover it and chill in the refrigerator overnight. It's best to wait and pour the taco sauce on top as recommended per the steps in the recipe. Should you choose to assemble this meatloaf ahead of time, you can use an alternate pan or skillet instead of cast iron.
- It's fine to use any similar size deep dish pan or baking dish to make this meatloaf.
- Store leftover taco meatloaf in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in the microwave to prevent it from drying out.
- Side dishes to serve with this recipe for Taco Meatloaf: Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes, Mexican Street Corn Salad, Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread and Easy Refried Beans just to name a few.
More Taco Inspired Recipes to Make
Taco flavors can be transformed in many ways to make another family pleasing meal. You may also like to try these recipes:
- Open faced Taco Stuffed Bread is a fun way to enjoy all of the same flavors of beef tacos without tortillas.
- Cozy up to a bowl of Taco Soup for supper.
- Beer Battered Fish Tacos melt in your mouth.
- Let your crockpot simmer the chicken for Crockpot Pulled Chicken Tacos.
- See also this recipe for Taco Cupcakes from Life in the Lofthouse.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheese Stuffed Taco Meatloaf
- 2 ½ lb lean ground beef 90/10
- 1 ½ cup taco sauce divided
- ⅔ cup crushed nacho cheese flavored Doritos divided
- 1 1.25 oz packet taco seasoning
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 8 oz block pepper-jack cheese, sliced into 14 even slices
- 1 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly brush a 10-inch cast iron skillet or similar oven safe skillet or baking dish with oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, ½ cup taco sauce, ⅓ cup crushed Doritos, taco seasoning, onion, cumin, lemon pepper, garlic powder, oregano and eggs. Using your hands mix until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Press ½ of the meatloaf mixture into the skillet. Gently press the pepper-jack cheese slices over the meat keeping at least ½-inch from the edge. Top with the remaining meatloaf mixture.
- Spread ½ cup taco sauce over the meat and place into the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes spread the remaining ½ cup taco sauce on top and sprinkle with 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese and remaining crushed Doritos.
- Continue to bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until cooked through and the meat is no longer pink.
- Rest for 10-15 minutes, slice and serve.