This Cheese Stuffed Taco Meatloaf takes a dish that's often thought of as a humdrum dish over-the-top. Seasoned lean ground beef is stuffed with spicy pepper-jack cheese then mixed together with our favorite fiesta seasonings and crushed Doritos, turning this taco meatloaf into homemade fiesta any say of the week.
Meatloaf - A Family Favorite
I tend to only share recipes here on my website that are family tested and approved. Being a lifelong fan of meatloaf, this spiced-up taco variation is one more way for my meatloaf lovin' family to enjoy it. In keeping with the theme, I like to serve this cheese stuffed taco meatloaf with Spanish rice and roasted Mexican corn or cheesy mashed potato casserole and a simple salad on the side. If you're in the mood for a piece of buttered honey cornbread on the side that would be nice addition, too.
Tips For Preparing In Advance
If you need to assemble this taco meatloaf in advance that works perfectly, too. It's best to wait to top it with the taco sauce just before you put it into the oven to bake. If your family is like mine, this taco meatloaf will satisfy their craving for a South-of-the-border style meal without breaking the bank. See also Taco Cupcakes, Taco Muffin Cups and Taco Pasta.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cheese Stuffed Taco Meatloaf
- 2 ½ lb lean ground beef 90/10
- 1 ½ cup taco sauce divided
- ⅔ cup crushed nacho cheese flavored Doritos divided
- 1 1.25 oz packet taco seasoning
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 8 oz block pepper-jack cheese, sliced into 14 even slices
- 1 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly brush a 10-inch cast iron skillet or similar with oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, ½ cup taco sauce, ⅓ cup crushed Doritos, taco seasoning, onion, cumin, lemon pepper, garlic powder, oregano and eggs. Using your hands mix until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Press ½ of the meatloaf mixture into the skillet. Gently press the pepper-jack cheese slices over the meat keeping at least ½-inch from the edge. Top with the remaining meatloaf mixture.
- Spread ½ cup taco sauce over the meat and place into the oven to bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes spread the remaining ½ cup taco sauce on top and sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese and remaining crushed Doritos.
- Continue to bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until cooked through and the meat is no longer pink.
- Rest for 10-15 minutes, slice and serve.