These Everything Pigs in a Blanket are ideal for parties, finger foods and snacking. They're a fun spin off of the popular irresistible mini crescent dogs that we can't get enough of.
Everything Pigs in a Blanket
What is it about pigs in a blanket that makes them so darn good! I've attended formal and casual events and have seen them served as a featured appetizer at both. The funny thing is, they're usually the first thing to go in a sea of appetizers. There's something compelling about hot dogs and tiny smoked sausages wrapped in some sort of pastry. Whether it's crescent roll dough or puff pastry, pigs in a blanket are consummate party food.
Pigs in a Blanket or Mini Crescent Dogs?
In the US. these bite-size piggies are referred to as both. You can use mini hot dogs or cocktail franks such as little smokies for this recipe just as I did, either will work. These easy pigs in a blanket, stuffed with a creamy mixture of cheese and mustard, then wrapped in crescent dough, make the perfect treat for both kids and adults.
Tips for Making
- To make these in advance, assemble fully and place side by side on the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Everything bagel seasoning just before baking.
- You may adjust the amount of Dijon in the filling to your taste. You could also use whole grain mustard in the same amount.
- It's not unusual for the cheese to ooze a bit when these bake. That's part of the charm of these yummy little snacks. Just leave on the pan for a few minutes and it will release as you pull them from the pan.
- Everything bagel seasonings consists of black or toasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic, onion and salt. It can also be used to season other things such as chicken, salmon, breads, savory muffins, vegetables or steaks.
- I recommend that you serve these with honey mustard, seasoned ketchup or sweet hot mustard on the side for dipping. Or, all three.
- Other recipes using hot dogs you may like to try are these oven chili cheese dogs and chili cheese corn dog muffins from the MSSK recipe index or these cowboy hot dogs from My Recipes.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Everything Pigs in a Blanket
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 4 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (thick cut works best)
- 1 16 oz can 8 count flaky jumbo biscuits
- 32 little smokies pat dry
- 2 Tbsp Everything bagel seasoning adjust amount to taste
- Dijon, sweet hot mustard, seasoned ketchup or honey mustard for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 16 inch pizza pan or similar with butter. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese and Dijon. Once combined, add cheese. Mix well. Set aside.
- Remove jumbo biscuits from can. Pull each biscuit apart through the middle. Cut each piece in half ending with 4 pieces of dough from each biscuit. Flatten each piece into roughly rectangular in shape.
- Spread dough pieces with cream cheese mixture. Place one smokie on the end and roll ending seam side down. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Arrange evenly on pizza pan. Brush tops with remaining butter and sprinkle with Everything seasoning. Adjust the amount to your taste.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and heated through.
- Serve immediately with additional Dijon, sweet hot mustard, seasoned ketchup or honey mustard for dipping.