Foil pack dinners make fantastic make-ahead meals with easy clean-up to boot. These Sweet Chili Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs are an all in one meal and each one packs a punch of flavor from the chili sauce. The vibrant colors of the vegetables turn them into eye candy, too. They’re filled with a medley of guilt-free vegetables and each chicken piece is drizzled with a mouthwatering Asian inspired sauce. Foil pack meals are year-round wonders and can be prepared in the oven or on the grill depending on the season. It doesn’t get any better than that.
I’m always on the lookout for time saving and budget friendly meals with a house of hungry boys to feed. I’m also constantly changing up the way we eat chicken. For these foil packs, the baking time can and should be adjusted depending on the thickness and size of the chicken breast pieces used. Thinner pieces won’t take quite as long to cook and thicker pieces may take a bit longer. I highly recommend at the end of baking that you brush the chicken pieces with reserved sweet chili sauce and broil to add color and char the vegetables. It sears the sweet chili sauce onto the chicken, too. It adds another level of flavor with minimal effort. Additionally please note, if you’re not fond of baking with foil, these Sweet Chili Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs may be made using parchment paper for oven preparation only.
Sweet Chili Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs
- 4 16x16-inch pieces heavy duty aluminum foil
- 4 6-8-oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper 1-inch pieces
- 3 large ears of corn fresh or frozen cut into 12 even pieces
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Asian Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/3 cup pineapple preserves
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider or rice wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray the center of 4 (16x16-inch) pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil with cooking spray. (Use doubled foil if using regular)
- Divide the zucchini between the 4 pieces arranging in a single layer. Arrange the bell pepper over the zucchini. Season with additional garlic salt and pepper to your taste.(May spray with cooking spray)
- Rub the chicken pieces with oil and season with garlic salt and pepper on all sides. Place one piece in the center of the vegetables.
- Arrange 3 pieces of corn and onion around the chicken.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the chili sauce, preserves, brown sugar, teriyaki and vinegar. Whisk until the sugar dissolves. brush over each piece reserving about 1/4 cup to use at the end of baking
- Bring 2 edges of foil together and fold leaving an air pocket around the chicken. Crimp the edges of the ends to seal.
- Place the packets onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Carefully open then continue to bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the juices run clear from the thickest part of the chicken.
- Increase to broil. Bush with remaining sauce. Broil for 3-5 minutes to char.
- Rest for 5 minutes then serve.
To grill, place foil packs on grill grates.Close grill and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Rotate 1/2 turn and continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the juices in the thickest part of the chicken run clear. Carefully open and serve.