These Sweet Chili Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs are an all in one meal and each one packs a punch of flavor from the chili sauce glaze. The vibrant colors of the vegetables turn them into eye candy, too. They’re filled with a medley of guilt-free vegetables and each chicken piece is drizzled with a mouthwatering Asian inspired sauce. Foil pack meals are year-round wonders and can be prepared in the oven or on the grill depending on the season. It doesn’t get any better than that.
Easy Sweet Chili Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs Recipe
When I was a girl, my Mom made “hobo dinners” for us regularly. We loved them, and my brothers and I couldn’t wait to dig in when they were on the menu. She would assemble the packets in advance them pop them into the fridge to keep chilled until dinner time. When it was time to eat, all she had to do was put them into the oven to bake and voila, dinner was ready in a snap. These sweet chili chicken foil packs are not only delicious, but you can assemble them ahead of time and chill until you’re ready to prepare dinner. It’s a spectacular bonus.
How to Make the Best Sweet Chili Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs
I’m always on the lookout for time saving and budget friendly meals with a house filled with hungry boys to feed. I’m also constantly changing up the way we eat chicken. Foil pack dinners make fantastic make-ahead meals with easy clean-up to boot.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, olive oil, garlic salt, pepper, zucchini, bell peppers, onion and corn.
- For the Sweet Chili Sauce you’ll need: Asian or Thai sweet chili sauce, pineapple preserves, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce and rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- For these foil packs, the baking time can and should be adjusted depending on the thickness and size of the chicken breast pieces used. Thinner pieces won’t take quite as long to cook and thicker pieces may take a bit longer.
- If you’re unable to find pineapple preserves, apricot or orange preserves work nicely.
- You could switch up the kind of vegetables used in these chicken foil packs. Yellow Squash, any variety of bell peppers that you enjoy will work.
- I highly recommend at the end of baking that you brush the chicken pieces with reserved sweet chili sauce and broil to add color and char the vegetables. It sears the sweet chili sauce onto the chicken, too. It adds another level of flavor with minimal effort.
- Chicken foil packs are best made and eaten. The amount can easily be adapted to the amount of servings that you need to make.
Should Foil or Parchment be Used to Make Chicken Foil Packs?
Please note, if you’re not fond of baking with foil, these Sweet Chili Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs can be made using parchment paper for oven preparation only. It would not work over an open fire and would be flammable.
More Southern Style Chicken Recipes to Make
For more easy chicken recipes you may like to add to the menu:
- Southern Fried Chicken and Waffles is made with boneless chicken pieces.
- Chicken Cakes and a Spicy Remoulade Sauce is a delicious meal that won’t break the bank.
- Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken drizzled with marinara sauce is an easy Italian night at home.
- Scrumptious homemade Bourbon Chicken served with a generous scoop of white rice.
- Another foil pack dinner recipe to try Italian inspired Caprese Stuffed Chicken Foil Packs from the Wholesome Dish.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Sweet Chili Chicken and Vegetable Foil Packs
- 4 16x16-inch pieces heavy duty aluminum foil
- 4 6-8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper 1-inch pieces
- 3 large ears of corn fresh or frozen cut into 12 even pieces
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Asian or Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/3 cup pineapple preserves
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider or rice wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray the center of 4 (16x16-inch) pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil with cooking spray. (Use doubled foil if using regular)
- Divide the zucchini between the 4 pieces arranging in a single layer. Arrange the bell pepper over the zucchini. Season with additional garlic salt and pepper to your taste.(May spray with cooking spray)
- Rub the chicken pieces with oil and season with garlic salt and pepper on all sides. Place one piece in the center of the vegetables.
- Arrange 3 pieces of corn and onion around the chicken.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the chili sauce, preserves, brown sugar, teriyaki and vinegar. Whisk until the sugar dissolves. brush over each piece reserving about 1/4 cup to use at the end of baking
- Bring 2 edges of foil together and fold leaving an air pocket around the chicken. Crimp the edges of the ends to seal.
- Place the packets onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Carefully open then continue to bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the juices run clear from the thickest part of the chicken.
- Increase to broil. Bush with remaining sauce. Broil for 3-5 minutes to char.
- Rest for 5 minutes then serve.
To grill, place foil packs on grill grates.Close grill and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Rotate 1/2 turn and continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the juices in the thickest part of the chicken run clear. Carefully open and serve.