Salmon Patties are a nostalgic dish. They're not only packed with flavor but, easy to prepare, too. To make them, flaked salmon is perfectly seasoned then rolled in crispy crumbs and fried until golden. They fall into the category of 30 minute tummy filling meal options that won't break the bank.
Salmon patties were often on the table when I was growing up. In fact, we loved these so much my Mom usually made a double batch so there would be plenty to go around. I can remember the familiar smell of them cooking coming from the kitchen, and I knew something special was happening for supper. Usually she would serve salmon patties with tartar sauce, comeback sauce or a seafood sauce on the side. There would probably be mashed potatoes and homemade coleslaw on the table, too. That all combines to nostalgic comfort food for me.
Breadcrumbs or Crushed Saltines Make a Delicious Breading
I grew-up eating salmon patties that had been rolled in saltine cracker crumbs. That was most likely due to the fact saltines could be found in most households so, it was readily available. Fast forward and my version, uses Panko breadcrumbs in place of crushed saltine crackers. Panko gives just the right crunch to the exterior of the patties and filler to hold them together.
Other Quick Savory Cakes Recipes
For those in your life who are unable to eat shellfish, these Chicken Cakes and Remoulade Sauce are a fantastic choice. For holiday meals or special occasions, Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes can't be beat. Another mild flavored fish that makes a tasty cake are these Cod Fish Cakes from A Family Feast.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 3 6 oz cans quality pink salmon drained
- 4 medium green onion finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs or finely crushed saltine crackers divided
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Seafood Magic Old Bay, Cajun/Creole seasoning, divided
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- salt and black pepper
- few dashes hot sauce
- 2 large eggs beaten
- butter or oil for frying
- Drain the salmon and pick through removing any visible bones, flake the lumps apart using 2 forks.
- Add to a mixing bowl with the green onion, ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs, mayo, lemon juice, 1 ½ tsp seafood seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your taste, adding hot sauce for a little heat, if desired. Add the beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Place the remaining 1 cup of Panko breadcrumbs onto a plate and season with ½ tsp of the same seafood seasoning used in the salmon mixture. [I used Seafood Magic]
- Use a 4 ounce ice cream scoop to divide the mixture, rolling lightly in the seasoned Panko breadcrumbs. Shape the salmon patties so they are uniform in size for even cooking.
- Place onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and chill for 30 minutes. [Tip: Chilling will help the cakes hold together when frying.]
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the salmon patties in 2 Tbsp butter or a few drizzles of olive oil for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
- Fry in batches, adding more butter and oil as needed. Place onto a platter and keep warm between batches.
- Serve immediately.