This creamy Chicken Marsala recipe is wonderfully rich and decadent. Serve it over cooked al dente linguine or fettuccine pasta to soak up every drop of the creamy and flavorful sauce.
Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
How do you make Chicken Marsala? You can make this restaurant quality dish in no time flat at home! You begin by pounding boneless skinless chicken breasts with the smooth side of a meat mallet. It's important that they be the same thickness for even cooking. Season the chicken breasts then coat with seasoned flour. Brown the chicken breasts in a large skillet per the recipe then remove them from the pan. Add the shallots and cremini mushrooms to the drippings in the skillet cooking until softened. Use a spoon to scrape all of the goodness from the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock and marsala wine to the pan to deglaze, then add heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well, seasoning with crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick. Add the chicken breasts back to the pan and simmer for just a few minutes until cooked through, then enjoy over cooked pasta.
How to Make the Best Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Chicken Marsala: Four boneless skinless chicken breasts, all purpose flour, salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, shallots, cremini mushrooms, chicken stock, marsala wine, heavy cream, grated Parmesan cheese, butter, olive oil, chopped parsley, crushed red pepper flakes and cooked fettuccine or linguine for serving.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: 12 inch skillet, large spoon, measuring cups and spoons, chopping board and sharp knife, cheese grater, meat mallet, small bowl and whisk.
- You can use dry Marsala wine instead of cooking wine for this recipe.
- To make a the sauce thicker, you can add additional Parmesan cheese. To make the sauce thinner, add an additional splash of chicken stock when making the mushroom sauce.
- You can serve this dish with any kind of pasta that you enjoy or even risotto.
- Side dishes to serve with Chicken Marsala: Oven Roasted Asparagus would be a delicious option as well as oven Roasted Panko Parmesan Broccoli. A Spinach Salad and of course, a side of bread such as Garlic Parmesan Pull Apart Rolls or Garlic and Herb Bread.
- To the same recipe, instead of chicken breasts you can use chicken tenders or even boneless skinless chicken thighs. Chicken thighs may take a longer cooking time.
- Store cooked Marsala Chicken chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Gently reheat in the microwave in single servings. You may need additional cream or stock to thin the sauce.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken is finger licking good.
- This recipe for Chicken Cakes come with a bonus sauce for dipping.
- Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken is so easy you'll make it over and over again!
- This tender Chicken Florentine is sure to become a family favorite.
- Chicken Piccata features capers and lemon in the sauce for a pop of flavor.
- The kids will love this Bacon Wrapped Barbecue Chicken made in the oven.
- Chicken Satay from The Chunky Chef.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 4 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt divided use
- 1 teaspoon black pepper divided use
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter divided use
- 3 tablespoon olive oil divided use
- 2 medium shallots (or one small red onion) finely diced
- 1 8 oz container cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese additional as needed
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes adjust amount to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
- cooked pasta for serving
- Use the smooth side of a meat mallet to pound the chicken breasts to ½ inch thickness. Season on all sides with ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together reserved salt and black pepper with flour, granulated garlic and onion powder. Coat the chicken pieces on all sides. Place onto a sheet pan.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil together in a large 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Arrange chicken breasts in pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden. Remove to a platter. (It doesn't have to be cooked through at this point)
- To the skillet add reserved 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil. Once butter has melted, add shallots and mushrooms. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping any brown bits from bottom of pan. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until softened and browned. Add minced garlic cooking for 1 minute longer or until fragrant.
- Whisk the marsala wine and chicken stock into the skillet. Again, scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 2 minutes on medium high heat to reduce slightly.
- Lower heat to medium-low, add heavy cream, parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Mix well, then add chicken breasts back to pan and spoon sauce over chicken. Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Garnish with parsley and additional grated Parmesan cheese then serve immediately over cooked pasta.